Tuesday 1 December 2015

A basic repertoire for Gypsy Jazz

I thought I'd quickly stick up a basic repertoire of tunes that you might encounter at a jam session such as the Tuesday night at Le Quecumbar. I'm sure there'll be a few missing here, and will update as time goes on.

I've separated them into 4 difficulty levels, with 1 being beginner level, and 4 being the sort of thing you might tackle with a year or two of playing under your belt.

I also give standard keys. Bear in mind that these are the keys that violinists and guitarists like to play. You will find that clarinettists like different keys for almost everything!

NOTE: This is not quite the same as a swing/trad repertoire. There's a strong cross over, but they are not the same thing exactly. You will also find that the Gypsy changes are sometimes quite different to the changes played by other jazz musicians.

Level 1


Coquette D
Dark Eyes Dm
Dinah F
Honeysuckle Rose F
Lady be Good G
Swing 48 Gm

Level 2


Blue Skies Am
I Can't Give You Anything But Love G
J'Attendrai C
Minor Swing Am
Rose Room F
Sweet Sue G
Swing Gitane Gm

Level 3


All of Me C
Bossa Dorado Em
Danse Norvegienne C
Daphne D
Django's Tiger A
Douce Ambience Gm
I Got Rhythm Bb
I'll See You in My Dreams F
Manoir de Mes Reves D
Nuages  F/G
Sheik of Araby  Bb
Songe D'Automne Dm
Swing 39 G
Tears C
Them There Eyes D

Level 4


After You've Gone G
Belleville D
Cherokee Bb
Djangology  G
Limehouse Blues G
Montagne Sainte-Genevieve Em
Tea for Two  Ab (poss G)
There Will Never Be Another You  Eb
Troublant Bolero E

No comments:

Post a Comment